OLD HARLOVIANS CLUB
MINUTES OF THE ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Held on 14th May 2011
38 Members attended the meeting.
1. Chairman’s opening remarks. The Chairman welcomed everyone to the Meeting, especially the new member, Richard Jay (55-62). The Chairman read out a letter from Richard Jeffries (56-61) describing the achievements of his brother, Nick (51-57), who died in February. Malcolm Seward (49-56) also contributed a few words on Nick’s life.
2. Minutes of the 2010 AGM were taken as read. There were no matters arising. Adoption proposed: Malcolm Seward (49-56), seconded: Chris Giffin (55-65). Passed unanimously.
3. Treasurer’s Report. Colin Porcher (46-54) reported that the total income for the year 2010/11 was £1117.70, with an expenditure of £1092.00, giving a surplus of £25.70. The bank deposit stands at £1595.76. There were no matters arising. Adoption proposed by John Taylor (50-55) and seconded by Richard Atkins (50-58). Passed unanimously.
4. Election of Chairman. Re-election of Roger Pyle (53-58) was proposed by Richard Atkins (50-58) and carried unanimously.
5. Election of Secretary. Re-election of Michael Dyke (50-58) was passed unanimously.
6. Election of Treasurer. Re-election of Colin Porcher (46-54) was proposed by Malcolm Norris (50-55) and passed unanimously.
7. Members’ telephone numbers and email addresses. The Meeting again allowed their telephone numbers and email addresses to be appended to the Members’ Directory.
8. Date and Venue of next Meeting. The Meeting agreed that the next AGM will be on the 19th May 2012 at St. John’s A.R.C. with Walker Catering providing the meal.
9. Price for next year’s Dinner. This was left to the discretion of the Committee, with a maximum of £30.
10. Cost of Web Site/future financing. The purpose of the web site is to spread information to the Members. A few members questioned the value of this service as the cost is approximately £75 p.a. Unfortunately Chris McCready (61-65), the Web Master, was unable to attend and give more information. Overall it was felt that the web site was beneficial, but it was unfair for the evening’s ticket price to be increased to cover the cost of the web site and the Secretary’s expenses (£81, £72 of which is postage) when these costs were for the benefit of the whole Club. A proposal from Richard Atkins (50-58) to append an appeal for funds with next year’s annual invitation was carried. Richard Jay (55-62) offered to investigate “Microsoft Live” which is a free-of-charge web site service. The whole web site situation will be reviewed at the 2012 AGM.
11. Any Other Business.
(a) Robert Collins (40-45) told an anecdote about his brother David (39-42) who died last November. David, late for school and cycling at great speed, went round the corner and knocked Mrs Dames off her bicycle, and subsequently ended up with six of the best!
(b) Andrew James (51-57) proposed a group photograph of all the Members present. This was subsequently taken.
The Meeting closed at 10.30 p.m.